Sunday, July 31, 2011

How do you like living in Clarksville?

Since I've moved to Clarksville, everyone has the same question... So, How do you like living in Clarksville? I decided I should document just how do I like living in Clarksville...
Let's start with the pros:
I like living close to family. I love my family and it's so nice for my children to be raised close to family. They can see their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. And instant babysitters is a bonus!
I like that Darren has a since of pride to be coming back to the town that he grew up in as "the new doctor." He likes the idea that our kids will go to the same schools he did and maybe even have some of the same teachers.
I really like that both city parks have those solid rubber flooring and not mulch or pieces of anything. The kids really like both parks.
I like the church we have been visiting, First Baptist Church of Clarksville. Everyone is very welcoming and friendly.
The city does have a Wal-mart, a nice children's boutique: Simply Sam, and a few other downtown shops. Russellville is just a short drive and they have a Hobby Lobby (Praise the Lord!), a Starbucks (Yay), and building a Chickfila(WooHoo).
I love the annual Peach Festival in Clarksville and I can't wait for Ada to be in the Princess Alberta pageant.
The Cons:
There are a LOT of OLD drivers... by old I mean dangerous elderly people that should NOT have a driver's license!! One day at a red light, I swear I honked at a lady twice and finally woke her up... I thought she might be dead. It's like they are all sight seeing... I mean it's not like Clarksville is a "sight-seeing" kind of place, right?! Just go already!
There is not a Target, a starbucks, a department store, NO INDOOR PLAY AREA, you know things that are in larger cities...
Wal-Mart is ALWAYS busy!!! especially on the weekends!
I do not like that "people" know where I live that don't even know my name! It's the small town syndrome... Everyone knows everything about everybody... except most of the time they DON'T, yet still talk like they do. I know that's everywhere, but in a small town it's so amplified.

Overall, I do like living in Clarksville. It's taking some getting used to, but we've been pretty busy over the summer. I love my house and it's location. The kids seem to be really happy, which makes me happy. Darren starts his job tomorrow and I know he's excited to get started. Everyone is so excited to have him here, which makes me so proud of him and for him. I know I'll find my place to be connected in the community, but for know I'm just settling in. You know me... I like to be involved! I'm hoping to volunteer at Ada's school, maybe substitute teach some... I'm ready to make some friends. I just want people to see me as Rachel and not Dr. Freeman's wife. We shall see how the first year goes. Here's to Clarksville so far... :)

No comments: