Thursday, August 19, 2010

Zackary's First Day of First Grade!





Today is Zackary's first day of FIRST GRADE! He woke up on his own this morning ready to go! He's excited about learning new things this year. He's enjoys learning and is looking forward to advancing in his knowledge. I am excited that he likes school. I always loved school... Well... let me adjust that, I loved learning and socializing, just not the time schedule chosen to do so. As you can see, Zackary enjoys the socializing as well... He has three boys in class this year from the previous year and they all remembered Zack. He was glad about that!

He had some good ole banana bread that Grammy made him for breakfast. We gave him a card to wish him luck on his first day. He picked out his clothes....and off we went. I waited with him outside until the bell rang and then his he strolled off in line with the other kids. It was amazing how all those kids knew exactly what to do as soon as the whistle blew.

There of course were a few kids who made me laugh... I got asked for lunch money... can you button my shirt.... can you pick up these caterpillars so they don't get stepped on.... It was an interesting observation this morning, but my favorite was.... This girl wearing a super cute outfit, probably 4 or 5 grade, wasn't sitting down in line like the rest of the kids. I watched a teacher go over there and say, please sit down. And her reply was: I can't! My mom said for me not to get this outfit dirty, and this ground is dirty! LOL I loved it. I immediately began thinking of different scenarios that probably happened between this little girl and her mother... Oh I can't wait!

This year Zack's teacher explained that she does not use the card pulling method for the kids. Instead she lets the kids rate themselves with numbers... 1- not so great 2-ok day 3- Great day!
I decided to make Zack a calendar to write his number on when he gets home. If he has 2 and above all week and mostly 3's, then he will get a prize at the end of the week! He liked the plan. I am looking forward to seeing him excel in school. He's very smart, so I am anxious to see what they teach first graders....

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I SO wish I could be a fly on the wall in his class.