Tonight, once again, Ada, Isaac, and me will be spending the night without Darren. I really do despise these on call nights. Eventually, I'm gonna have to get over it since there will always be on call nights. I'm sure we will survive.
I guess I never realized how true it is when people tell you how different your children are. Isaac is so different from Ada, which is so weird since both my children come from the same parents. Ada was so content all the time, slept through the night at 8 weeks, just never wanted to eat. Isaac on the other hand would eat all the time if I'd let him, just now is sleeping mostly through the night with the occasional pacifier replacement, and well, just needs a lot more than Ada ever did. I can just imagine as Isaac gets older and starts to eat table foods that I'm gonna have one that wants to eat all the time, and one that never eats. This could be interesting feeding Ada cookies and milkshakes, and telling Isaac you've had enough son.
However, one thing is true you do love them equally despite their differences and I would never compare one to the other in front of them. Until they have their own babies and ask what they were like as infants, they will hear from me that both of them were the best babies to me. Even as an adult, no child wants to hear their parents say how bad of a child they were, at least until they have children of their own. Because then, you understand that even if it sounds like they are saying you were a bad child, really they are not. They are just telling you now b/c you know you love your children unconditionally even if they didn't sleep well or eat well or behave all the time. And that as parents you will get through it and one day look back on those days and have great memories to tell your grandchildren.
Being a mom is such a challenge. Speaking of being the mom, Darren was alone with both kids basically the whole weekend. I decided to work a few days for some extra Christmas money. I think he did quite well to be out numbered. On Sunday when I got home from work, Ada was asleep and Isaac was kind of restless. As soon as I held Isaac and talked to him and layed him down he went to sleep. Darren of course says that's not fair, but I beg to differ. Now, granted he didn't stay asleep long, but after carrying him for 37 long weeks, it's fair to be the one that comforts him. Being a mother is so great. Even though we gripe the whole time we're pregnant, we really do get to reap some benefits. Like, we can comfort our child like no one else, we can feed our children from our breasts, we know our children's cries, and we are always the one they want after they get hurt. That's only a few things in the grand scheme of things. So I solute all mothers today and I'm thankful I have two beautiful healthy children.
Ok enough of the soap box. We went to our Christmas program at church last night to see the children's choir and the adult choir. It was great. Madison, Katie's niece, was part of the choir, she did great. Here is one picture that is not that great, sorry Katie. The church was so packed we had to sit in the balcony area. Seeing Madison up there sure did make us miss the Marsico bunch. Travis, you are just gonna have work somewhere in Arkansas, preferably Little Rock or Fayetteville.

1 comment:
That is such a touching post and SO true. I am really bad about "talking about" my kids in front of them, like if one is going thru a rough stage, I'll tell other people about it in front of Jackson or Tucker. Your post will help me to remember to bite my tongue!! I think its OK to vent...but you are right-not in front of them! ANd its so true about loving them equally, even if they are so different!!!
Post a Comment